The IPA is implemented in 7-year periods.
IPA I PERIOD (2007-2013)
Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance -IPA financial aid in 2007–2013 period has been disbursed based on the programmes prepared by the beneficiary countries, according to the priorities again set by these countries.
In the first period, the EU financial assistance allocated to Turkey is used under the below-mentioned 5 components (Transition Assistance and Institution Building, Regional and Cross-border Cooperation, Regional Development, Human Resources Development, Rural Development) in line with our country's priority development goals.
The most important problem faced by both industrialized and developing countries is regional disparities. Regional Development, as one of the 5 policy areas identified for IPA 1, aims to create projects to reduce disparities among the regions of the candidate countries, enhance their competitiveness through supporting SMEs and businesses, and to strengthen the necessary infrastructures for this purpose. This objective coincides with Turkey's perspective. Just as the EU, Turkey attaches great importance to regional development and thus provides financial assistance to numerous projects through Regional Competitiveness, Environment and Transport Operational Programmes under the Regional Development component.
Different institutions have been designated to develop and implement programmes for these priorities in our country. In this scope,
• The Ministry of Industry and Technology prepared and implemented the Competitive Sectors Programme, technically called the Regional Competitiveness Operational Programme;
• The Ministry of Environment and Urbanisation prepared and implemented the Environment Operational Programme;
• The Ministry of Transport, Maritime Affairs and Communications prepared and implemented the Transport Operational Programme;
• The Ministry of Labour and Social Security prepared and implemented the Human Resources Development Operational Programme;
• The Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock prepared and implemented the Rural Development Operational Programme
Transition Assistance and Institutional Building programme is executed by the Ministry for EU Affairs.
IPA II PERIOD (2014 – 2020)
Implemented under a single umbrella, IPA financial assistance for 2014-2020 period will again be utilized according to the country priorities and programmes based on these priorities.
In the new period, it is aimed to monitor the result indicators rather than input and output indicators of the programmes in order for the EU funds to enhance socio-economic development and create more permanent impacts. In this framework, a result oriented monitoring approach has been adopted for 2014-2020 period.
Furthermore, the goal in IPA II period is to align national policies with EU policies through a sectoral programming approach. Accordingly, just as in IPA I, 5 policy areas have been identified for the management of funds in 2014-2020 programming period:
• Reforms in preparation for Union membership and Capacity Building
• Regional Development
• Employment, Social Policies and Human Resources Development
• Agriculture and Rural Development
• Regional and Territorial Cooperation
The priority sectors and the lead institutions as identified for IPA II period:
1. Democracy and Governance (Ministry for EU Affairs) (Alignment with EU acquis, Union Programmes and Civil Society)
2. Rule of Law and Fundamental Rights (Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Interior and Ministry for EU Affairs)
3. Transport (Ministry of Transport, Maritime Affairs and Communications)
4. Environment (Ministry of Environment and Urbanization)
5. Energy (Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources)
6. Competitiveness and Innovation (Ministry of Industry and Technology)
7. Education, Employment and Social Policies (Ministry of Labor and Social Security)
8. Agriculture and Rural Development (Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock)
9. Territorial Cooperation (Ministry for EU Affairs)
In 2014-2020 period, our Ministry is responsible for the preparation and implementation of Competitiveness and Innovation Sector Operational Programme under the Regional Development Policy Area as a leading institution. In this scope, Competitiveness and Innovation Sector Operational Programme has been prepared by our Ministry receiving contributions also from the universities, development agencies, regional and local stakeholders and central authorities. This was accepted and approved by the European Commission in December 2014.
What is the role of the Ministry of Industry and Technology in the IPA system?
The "Operational Programmes" under IPA will be prepared, implemented, monitored and supervised by the Ministries. This structure is similar to the structural fund practices in the member states. Our Ministry assumed the role of being the Operating Structure responsible for preparing and implementing "the Regional Competitiveness Operational Programme" for 2007-2013 period, and Competitiveness and Innovation Sector Operational Programme" for the 2014-2020 period. "Competitive Sectors Programme" is the umbrella name covering both periods.